Implementation of PACS for Enterprise Imaging
SSM Health is a Catholic, not-for-profit health system serving the comprehensive health needs of communities across four states through a fully integrated health care delivery system. The organization’s more than 40,000 employees and 10,000 providers are committed to providing exceptional health care services.
With care delivery sites in Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma and Wisconsin, SSM Health includes 24 hospitals, more than 300 physician offices and other outpatient and virtual care services, 10 post-acute facilities, comprehensive home care and hospice services, a pharmacy benefit company, a health insurance company and an accountable care organization.
SSM Health created Project Beacon to standardize on clinical EHR and PACS systems across its hospitals and clinics. Epic was selected as the EHR and revenue cycle management system. GE Centricity PACS was selected for enterprise diagnostic imaging.
Although the Integrated Health Technologies (IHT) division at SSM Health had some experience with PACS support, very few resources had implemented PACS at an enterprise level and integrated with Epic. SSM Health engaged HealthTech Advisors to lead and direct the project and manage the vendor in a multi-year project.
Upon engaging for the Enterprise PACS Implementation project the following was conducted:
- Development of the project charter and site implementation sequencing
- Negotiation with GE Healthcare for implementation timing and processes
- Developed the site implementation plans and coordinated with IHT site managers
- Drafted implementation and integration requirements with Epic and PowerScribe for voice recognition/digital dictation
- Managed the implementation process and GE Healthcare resources for each site
- Coordinated training for the Radiologists and clinical users
Over a period of three years the follow was accomplished:
- New PACS and associated applications were implemented at 8 hospitals in two states.
- The vendor was held accountable for system performance and functionality.
- The project was completed successfully, on-time and on-budget. As a result, we were invited back to SSM Health to manage the implementation of Epic Radiant for the largest SSM Health clinic.